We often field inquiries on how to become an AST instructor. Below is some important information.
The Avalanche Skills Training (AST) program is administered by Avalanche Canada (AvCan)(formerly the Canadian Avalanche Centre). The AST curriculum was created and continues to be updated by AvCan. AvCan takes care of licensing, communicating with (via newsletters and emails) and shipping AST materials to AST Providers. AvCan licenses AST Providers, whether organizations or individual.
A "Provider" is an individual, company, organization or other entity that delivers AST courses to the public, either directly (e.g. an individual instructor) or indirectly (e.g. an entity that hires instructors). Individual instructors employed by these organizations will not have to submit a license agreement.
AST instructors must meet the following minimum requirements:
For teaching Avalanche Skills Training Level 1:
- Be an “Active” member of the CAA
- Successful completion of the CAA Industry Training Program (ITP) Avalanche Operations Level 1 course (Ski, Snowmobile or Educators)
For teaching Avalanche Skills Training Level 2:
- Be a “Professional” member of the CAA
- Successful completion of the CAA Industry Training Program (ITP) Avalanche Operations level 2 course (Ski or Snowmobile)
- Experience in teaching the Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 or the Introductory Recreational Avalanche Course curriculum, or an equivalent course
- The instructor must have suitable training in instructional techniques and the knowledge, skill and experience to safely lead a group in terrain suitable for the Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 or Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 courses.
Requirements for AST instructors include:
- New instructors to the AST program must have shadowed a minimum of one AST course with an experienced AST instructor.
- All AST providers must have liability insurance.
- All instructors need to stay up-to-date with CPD.
Learn more about CAA membership
For more information, or to license, please contact Nancy Geismar at Avalanche Canada.